16 February, 2008

How can I spend my time better?

I have tons to do today. But I definitely wanted to get some thoughts out on the web, here.

I seem to have a tendency to become addicted/interested in story lines through TV shows. The most recent example of this is the Lost series. I watched the first couple shows way back when it first came out, in the first season. But I had lost track of it (pun not intended). But now that I have the option of watching online. I decided to go back and watch from the beginning until I got through the first 3 seasons before I would watch season 4. I've enjoyed this throughly. But I've been spending a ton of time on it. As you can imagine. I don't have any other addictions, but it seems I have this quasi one in the form of these TV shows. Other examples include Chuck, Jericho, NCIS and Bones.

There is no real difference between this addiction and any other addiction. They just seem to affect different things. While this doesn't necessarily "hurt" me in any way. It does end up taking priority over things that could be of much more use.

I don't know how I feel about this. But the fact of the matter, is that it's taking up too much time. I could say that I'm not going to watch Lost anymore. Cut it off cold turkey...I could say that I'll watch through the rest of this season to catch me up and then I'll just watch when it's on. Or I could say, it doesn't hurt anyone.

But what am I'm called to? God wants priority. But how much of the time, do we give Him priority? It's easy and comfortable to waste time. Time is our most precious resource but most easily abused.

So I know what I should do. Now will I do it. Or stay stuck in my rut? Am I a man of God seeking His will in everything? Or am I posing as one? Ultimately serving myself?! This needs some prayer. I need to seek Scripture to back this up.

He wants our lives, not just 10 to 30 minutes a day, if that.

Are you giving God priority?

No comments: